My dear friend, Mallory, gave me a gift certificate to Simple Cloth at my baby shower last week. This weekend I spent it (better to spend than misplace is my gift certificate philsophy) on a Flip Day Pack which consists of 2 covers and 6 stay-dry inserts. Thank you, Mallory!!!
Joanna over at Baby Gator’s Den recently wrote a great post on cloth diapers. Being that this is my first time with diapers I love running into other mama’s who have successfully diapered their little one’s bums with a cloth option. Because seriously, I don’t really know what to say when I am peppered with questions on this topic. So, just in case you were wondering …
- Yes, I do know cloth diapers are gross … but really, aren’t all diapers gross?
- No, I don’t know if Flips are going to leak, fit my kiddo, last a long time, etc. etc. etc.
- Yes, I have registered for pink ones too. This doesn’t mean baby is a girl and I’m hiding something … it just means I want to be prepared.
- No, I am not yet committing to cloth wipes. That might be an adventure for baby #2.
- Yes, Dominic is on board.
- Yes, I will have disposables as back up.
So why on earth did we make the cloth diaper decision?
- Finances – Long term, cloth diapers are much more economical. They can be used for future siblings as well which pays off even more.
- Environment – Disposable diapers take FOREVER to decompose, cloth are re-usuable and are therefore a prime example of recycling .
- Health – There are crazy chemicals in disposable diapers, I would prefer to keep those and the diaper rashes they cause away from baby’s bum.
- Sanity – I’ve read a number of times that cloth diaper babies potty train much sooner than disposable diaper babies. Something about being able to feel the wetness in a cloth diaper and connecting that it isn’t a comfortable feeling.
So, that’s that. We’re giving it a try. Wish us luck :) I am sure there will be many more reports on the cloth diaper journey as we collect our stash and put them to use in the coming months!