One of the best things about being a stay at home mom is that I get to adventure with my kids all year long. That doesn’t mean we always do. Because ya’ll know how crazy it is to get out of the house with littles. But we can. And that’s awesome. And I’m so thankful for that flexibility.
Our day to day throughout the year doesn’t have many constraints, but still, there is something extra special about summer. Summer is bright and beautiful and full of frozen treats, swimsuits, and sunglasses. Summer is a time for my more valiant adventure attempts since my teacher mama and sis are around and usually willing to be my helpers. Summer, is a time, to make memories and free memories are where I like to begin our adventures …
If you’re all about free, fun, and memories (ok, ok, and sometimes meltdowns) to last a lifetime, begin with some of the ideas we have on our summer bucket list!
- Join the summer reading program through your local library — Our library gives out great participation perks like coupons for free cupcakes, visits to the zoo, and more!
- Start a family photo tradition that gets you out and about — This summer we launched the #BossioWallArtHunt (pictured above)! Whenever we see buildings with fun paintings on the side we pull over, hop out, and pose for a photo!
- Create a backyard obstacle course — My sister did this with my kids and they are HUGE fans.
- Sightsee your city — You don’t have to go far to have fun! Ask for recommendations on social media or pack up an older relative and have them take you on a tour of places they remember from way back when.
- Go window shopping — Buying isn’t everything! You can use summertime to teach your littles the fun of browsing.
- Promote independent play — Ya’ll, summer is a time to get a little bored, because boredom births creativity! Send your kiddos to their room and then, wait. They’ll come up with something awesome. I promise.
- Embrace nature — Hike trails and explore parks!
- Mark your calendar with local outdoor events — Our symphony hosts concerts in the park, the city next door does movies at dusk, and along the water their are a few fun fairs throughout the summer.
- Volunteer — Use summertime to do good! Find something that your family is passionate about and give your time and energy to a valuable cause.
- Go on a drive — As in, a classic Sunday afternoon drive type of outing. We often make or grab milkshakes to sip on and play our family’s favorite question game (basically one person asks a question and everyone answers it, then the next person comes up with a question and so on and so on) while we cruise.
Almost all of these adventures call for a reliable mom mobile so make sure your ride is ready to roll this summer! Autotrader has some fabulous tips to get your car in tip top shape and even more exciting, Autotrader is giving away a Summer Car Care Kit to help make one family’s summer adventures come to fruition.
Each kit is valued at $122 and includes an Autotrader branded charger, tire pressure gauge, roadside safety kit, sunscreen, poncho 4 pack, safety tool – seatbelt cutter, hammer, emergency wind up flashlight, and a $25 Visa gift card. I have a kit and boy, do I feel 10x more prepared to hit the road! Enter below >>>
Today’s post and giveaway was sponsored by Autotrader.