We’re on our way north, but I wanted to give a shout out to all of my readers who commented on my discipline questions post. Your words gave me food for thought and I’m so glad to hear I’m not alone in all this wondering!
I ordered this book to continue my research and emailed a bit with my sister about her experience with her 2 year old son. She recommended this book and gave me a fabulous list of quick ideas in responding to little ones with positive discipline. I love that the focus is to help them make decisions based on empathy, understanding and their critical thinking rather than just enforcing “rules”. Here’s the list – thanks siser for all your mama wisdom!
- Honor the Impulse – ” Yes, it is fun to dump water but…”
- Active Listening – “I hear you saying you are not ready for me to change your diaper.”
- Sports casting – ” I see that you are holding on to that toy very tightly.”
- Using “I” Messages – “I feel frustrated when you dump the water”
- Positive Limit Setting – “I am not going to let you hit Judy, and I won’t let Judy hit you.”
- Giving a Choice – “You can wear the blue pants or the red pants.”
- Giving Information – “That screaming really hurts my ears.”
- Natural Consequences – “If you choose to throw the sand, you will need to leave the sand box.”
- Redirection – “It looks like you might want to do something different. Let’s clean the table together.”