I’ve been a mama for one week, the best week of my life :) Here is what I’ve learned …
- Cloth nursing pads are divine … those disposables are not as soft, fill up my garbage and are hardly absorbent. Cloth is the way to go. Mine are bamboo velour/hemp and are here to stay.
- Baby swings are a worthwhile contraption … for a good while I was majorly anti-contraption, but a good garage sale deal and a curious baby make things like swings a lifesaver.
- Husbands must live and learn … projectile poo in the middle of a diaper change. Need I say more :)
- Green cabbage is a glorious veggie … engorgement + a homemade veggie bra = relief.
- Birth plans are not for the weak at heart … things don’t always go my way. My birth plan was my 1,237th reminder of this. Someday I might learn. I love what Albert Camus says in regard to our fragile hearts, “Blessed are the hearts that can bend; they shall never be broken.”
- Early morning hours are priceless … when my little one wakes up at night and we nurse/snuggle and visit about life, nothing can replace those special moments.
- Rescue Remedy is woman’s “emotional ally” … need I say more?
- Midwifery care makes a huge difference during pregnancy, labor and postpartum … it is individualized. I have their cell numbers and can call anytime. They came to our home on Wednesday for a mama/baby check-up. That’s true health care.
- Laundry is quickly becoming my arch nemesis … between milk leaks, poo leaks, pee leaks, spit up and everything in between I don’t think my washer/dryer has had a break all week.
- My baby girl is the blessing of a lifetime!
Tonight we are attempting our first outing … church! We will be sitting in the back, ready for a quick exit. Wish me luck and Jemma a long nap!