Awhile back (summer 2016 to be exact), baby Reid and I made the trek to Texas to visit my sister.
There, I fell in love with Tex-Mex. Deep, cheesy, fresh salsa, Tres Leches kinda love. Upon arriving home, I craved all the things and nothing in the Northwest quite compares to the food scene in Texas. Boo! Thankfully, my sister re-created one of my favorite recipes from our trip and blessed me with the recipe. Now, I’m blessing you! Let’s hear it for Creamy, Not-Too-Spicy Jalapeño Dip!
It’s similar to the dip/sauce/amazingness served at Chuy’s. And I could drink it.
It’s easy to eat a whole bag of chips alongside a bowl of this dip, but usually try to break it up in to at least a few servings :) This week I upped my dinner game and instead of simply serving burritos, I turned that traditional dish into an A+ one by using this dip to create baked wet burritos. You. Can. Too. Prep burrito mix (I shredded up a rotisserie chicken and mixed with a handful (really, two handfuls) of cheese and a cup of red salsa), then, in a 9×13 pan I rolled flour tortillas filled with the burrito mix. I poured two cups of jalapeño dip on top and sprinkled cheese over that. Covered with foil and baked at 375 degrees for 45 minutes. Dom said it was THE BEST. And you guys, he always eats what I make, but it’s been awhile since I’ve served a real “WOW!” dinner.
So, mix up your own dip and enjoy as is or make wet burritos like us!
- 1 cup mayo
- 1/3 cup buttermilk*
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 2 ounces canned jalapeños or 1 fresh jalapeño chopped**
- 4 ounce can of green chiles
- 1/3 cup cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- In a food processor, add all ingredients and pulse until smooth.
- Use as a dip, on a taco salad, or to make the most amazing wet burritos EVER.
- *If you don't have buttermilk, you can substitute 1/3 cup regular milk with 1 tablespoon vinegar. Just mix the milk and vinegar together in a measuring cup and allow it to thicken before adding to the food processor.
- **Double the jalapeño if you want more kick!