“This post was sponsored by Starbucks as part of an Influencer Activation for Influence Central. I received compensation and complimentary products to facilitate my review.”
One of the hardest parts about welcoming a new baby into our family has been how torn I feel with my time. My heart didn’t have any trouble growing with Reid’s arrival, but the hours in my day didn’t grow one bit. Who knew?!? So often I’m left feeling like my time is very much divided. It’s a messy place to be, this torn place, and I’m guessing I’ll forever be grasping to give each of my children their due dose of mama time. Some days I succeed. Some. Maybe, like, 2 out of 7, if I’m being honest. And others/most, I utterly fail. But, this week, with the help of my own mama, all of my children got some special one-on-one lovin’!
At 7 weeks (today, in fact!), breastfeeding has become quite engaging with Reid because he’s making tons of eye contact. I absolutely love it and our little corner of the couch where we nurse is a favorite of ours. He smirked out his first smile mid-nursing sessions just this week and it turned me into the happiest, sappiest mama! While I snuggled up the little mister, my mom and Jemma whipped up the most divine chocolate chip scones for a brunch time snack. Keep reading for the recipe! When they were done my mom cradling Reid and read with Max while Jemma and I brewed a fancy cup of hot cocoa for a mini girl’s date upstairs.
Jem and I both love Starbucks with all our hearts, but it’s not always an option for us to head out on a girl’s coffee date. So, we both think it’s pretty fabulous that we can now create little Starbucks dates at home with the Starbucks® Hot Cocoa K-Cup® pods! While Mimi loved on the boys, Jemma and I snuck our cocoa and homemade scones upstairs for some reading time of our own. This girl has been reading up a storm and I love to sit and listen to her read aloud. Truly, being such a book lover myself, it’s one of my greatest joys to see her falling in love with words. Our list of common loves just keeps growing – Starbucks, chocolate, sweet treats, books … What could be next?
Starbucks® Hot Cocoa K-Cup® pods come in two delicious flavors – classic hot cocoa and salted caramel. We couldn’t decide which we loved more; they were both super creamy, chocolatey, and oh so good! The pods worked great in our Keurig® brewer and paired perfectly with chocolate chip scones and fluffy marshmallows. With so many cold winter days ahead of us I’ll be picking up more pods at the grocery store in no time at all! After all, I’m sure Jemma will want to make our cocoa, scone, and book dates a weekly tradition … and who am I to say no? It was cozy perfection and just the balm my mama heart needed since I’ve been feeling torn in so many directions lately.
Now, here is the recipe for the greatest homemade scones EVER and if you find your way to the bottom of this post you can enter a giveaway to win your own Cozy Collection from Starbucks. That way you can pair your scones with Starbucks® Hot Cocoa K-Cup® pods and other cozy treats too!
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- Whisk dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Cut the cold butter pieces into the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients (sour cream, egg yolk, and vanilla). Add to the flour-butter mixture and gently fold until a ball forms. Again, gently fold in the chocolate chips until well incorporated.
- Place the dough ball on a parchment-lined or ungreased baking sheet. The dough will be sticky so sprinkle extra flour as needed. Press the dough ball into a large circle about 1 inch in height. Then, score the dough into scone size wedges.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.
Enter the giveaway for your very own Cozy Collection here! The collection includes:
- A special blanket, perfect for snuggling, cuddling or snoozing
- A mug to fill with cocoa for a tasty, cozy treat
- Starbucks® Classic and Salted Carmel K-Cup® pods, made with real cocoa
- Marshmallows and shortbreads to put the finishing touches on your cocoa
- $5 Starbucks Card and exclusive offer on Starbucks® Hot Cocoa K Cup® pods
Laura Burns says
Oh my golly, I had no idea they also had hot cocoa pods! Totally buying those… I make hot cocoa whenever the kids go out to play in the snow. I start the keuirg as soon as they leave the house so that by the time they get back in, it’s cook enough to drink. While I was at Ikea last, i bought a bag of their snowman marshmallows and add a few just for fun.
I will tell you that with things going on right now in our home, I feel so desperate for time. I’m trying so hard to be mindful and yet time just slips away. So kudos on making it with three!!!!!
Snowman marshmallows? Too cute!
SK Bell says
What a precious mommy-daughter date! I am so excited to see how my one-on-one dates evolve with each child as they grow up and their interests change. It’s fun to think that one might prefer to sip cocoa and browse our bookstore, one might like to go enjoy a play or a dance performance, one might like to go bowling or skating… so fun!