Welcome to the Festival of Food Carnival. In celebration of the New Year and Healthy Starts, we’re sharing recipe ideas for healthy, nourishing recipes or anything you would enjoy this time of year. Hosted by Diary of a First Child and Hybrid Rasta Mama, you’re welcome to join us next time, or if you have a previously published recipe you’d like to share, add it to the linky below.
I won’t go as far as to say that I’m making a goal to lose weight in 2013, but there are some baby pounds I may or may not being striving to get rid of. Ideally I’ll do this through some kid-friendly exercise (swift walks with the stroller and family yoga, anyone?) and a boost in some healthy menu planning.
First on the menu … Skinny Taco Soup. A yummy blend of healthy, low cal ingredients that will help us all shed a few pounds in January.
I pulled this delish recipe from the archives of my cookbook this week in preparation for the soon-to-be-slender me. It’s from one of my dearest friends whom I consider my resident health nut. Consider it a bonus that it’s made in a blender … does it get any easier than that? I think not.
SKINNY TACO SOUP
- 2 Roma tomatoes
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 thin slice of onion
- 2 carrots (or a handful of baby carrots)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 packet of taco seasoning
- Various other veggies: peppers, squash, cabbage, etc.
- Wash, peel, dice, and prep each veggie
- Add everything to a blender (I have an antique Vitamix and can’t even begin to tell you how much I adore it!) and puree with 3 cups of boiling water
- Pour into bowls and enjoy plain or portion out a few goodies (corn, cheese, olives, chips, or sour cream) to fancy it up
This post was originally published on the Baby Gizmo Blog.
*********** Please take a moment to visit the blogs of our other Festival of Food participants. The links in this list will be live by the end of the day, as participants are all in different time zones.
- Sarah at Why Food Works shares Guilt Free Ranch Dip. Food is more fun when dunked, and kids eat more veggies with dip – use this high-protein, low-fat, Ranch-flavored spread at picnics, parties, and meals! You can also find Sarah on Facebook.
- Christina at The Hippy Homemaker shares her tasty vegan Black Bean and Barley Salad With a Cilantro Lime Dressing, a low-fat meal that packs a real flavor punch! You can also find Christine on Facebook.
- Bianca at the Pierogie Mama shares a quick and simple recipe for roasting cauliflower. Garlic, olive oil and Parmesan cheese make anything taste amazing!You can also find Bianca on Facebook.
- Have a blender? Then That Mama Gretchen says it’s time to gather your veggies and plan a Mexican fiesta to debut this skinny version of taco soup. You can also find That Mama Gretchen on Facebook.
- Lindy at Poppy Soap Co. shared an incredibly easy Herb Rice recipe that makes a great pantry staple! You can also find Lindy on Facebook.
- Luschka at Diary of a First Child loves foraging for her food, and this Nettle Soup recipe is a great immune boost for the changing season. You can also fine Luschka on Facebook.
- Mari at Honey on the Bum shares her love of beet kvass, a daily drink that holds particular importance in the winter.
- Destany and They Are All of Me shares her recipe for low-fat healthy smoothies that taste just like dessert.
- Lauren at Hobo Mama offers a nut-buttery, chocolatey treat that tastes indulgent while being grain- and sugar-free. You can also find Hobo Mama on Facebook.
- Jennifer at Hybrid Rasta Mama shares a super easy, fix it and freeze it Curried Lentil Soup In A Jar! You can also find Jennifer on Facebook.
Stay connected! Be sure to “Like” the Festival of Food Carnival Facebook page.
(Visited 28 times, 1 visits today)