Will I have fear with baby number three? I’m sure I will. I mean, hello, Max was over 10 pounds so first on my list is how I’ll manage if I birth another double digit squish. But, now I know how to work through it. Overcoming fear is a lesson I’ve been able to apply in many scenarios outside of birth. Three cheers for transferable skills!
So, as I sign off, I’ll briefly recap …
- Process the event – And with this, take as much time as you need. You may want to journal, ask questions, seek counsel or talk to other parties involved. Fully explore everything so there are no questions, worries or fears left unspoken.
- Focus on positive thinking – This takes lots of practice and accountability, but it’s totally worth it.
- Find your spiritual ground – For me it’s Jesus, I want Him to be it for you too, but if it’s not, find your center, whatever gives you your foundation and hold tight to that.
- Prepare – There are rarely emergencies for those who are prepared so educate yourself, seriously, that is my biggest advice to everyone. Just because one expert says something doesn’t mean it’s law – get second opinions, read both sides of the argument, find what works best for you and your family.
- Let go – Control is a bear, I sure hope I’m not the only one who deals with it. In the case of birth, it’s all about letting go. Your body knows what to do and since you’re prepared, you have a team of experts surrounding you in case a surprise pops up. So just let go, own the process and work with your body as you experience the greatest albeit most painful moment of your life :)
Wow , this is exactly what I needed to hear !!!! I'm 7 months pregnant with my first baby and very much like to be in control . I've been trying to fight my anxiety and fears that everything might not go the way I plan during my daughters birth. You are so right about letting go and trusting Jesus. He helped me get through crippling depression and heal from a miscarriage last year. Thank you for your words of encouragement !
Gretchen Bossio says
I'm so glad it gave you a boost! You'll do wonderful – birth is such a rewarding experience and always worth the hard work. Keep up the positive perspective! xoxo
Thanks for the post. After reading this post, I gain some knowledge and gathered some information’s. This article is realy very important very informative article. Thank you again. Keep posting. I am waiting for your new post.
This post is very amazing. Before read this article, i didn’t idea about overcoming-birth-fears. Now i understood. When i would be pregnant follow this information. Thank so much for share this article.
janie vezina says
wonderfully written, thank you for sharing.