Right before Christmas Jemma weathered her first major cold. At the same time she had a molar are two working through as well and we were generally a mess of snot and unhappiness :(
But, we came through and were well by Christmas – YAY!
Here’s a few of our favorite tips and tricks for kicking the sickness …
- Chiropractor Visit – The chiropractor fixed Jemma’s first ear infection without antibiotics and getting adjusted can help drain fluid from a cold too. We’re actually going to be in a short promo video for our chiropractor’s office soon. I’ll share it when it’s live :)
- Steam Machine – Our steam machine is a cold one and worked really well in loosening up all her nose junk. Just be sure to let it completely air out before packing away so mildew doesn’t become a problem. Breathing mildew air doesn’t help anyone’s cold!
- Supplements – In addition to infant Tylenol (for nighttime discomfort and teething) I tried by best to boost Jemma’s immune system with echinacea, elderberry, and vitamin D drops (blended into juice or a smoothie).
- Upright Sleeping – I think Jemma decided she liked sleeping on a pillow during her cold, by slightly elevating her head she was able to stay asleep a little better. We also took upright naps on the couch. My pillow is a very firm memory foam type material – use your best judgement when allowing your child to sleep with extra pillows or blankets.
- Hydration – Yummy smoothies, water with a dash of juice, or breastmilk, whatever encourages your little one to keep the liquids flowing.
- Keep Close – I love babywearing all the time, but it’s extra special when Jemma isn’t feeling well. She snuggles close, naps, and gets a little extra comfort by being attached to mama. I’ll often wear a sports bra and leave Jem without a shirt to encourage skin-to-skin as a healing boost :)
- BRAT Diet – Banana, Rice, Applesauce, and Toast! The perfect menu for wee ones who aren’t feeling super.
- Amber Teething Necklace – Amber is know to sooth aches and pains and whether it be teething or a cold, Jemma loves to sport her necklace. Ours is from this Etsy shop and totally worth the investment.
Blog – GFC – Blog Lovin’ – Facebook – Twitter – Pinterest – Vote