Look at me, following through on promises — the recipe I mentioned yesterday!
I have quite the history with beef. You see, for 23 years I hated it. Burgers made me gag. Steaks were out of the question. Meatloaf was my worst nightmare. Beef and I just didn’t mix.
Then I got pregnant and all of a sudden nothing sounded better than a hearty burger with all the fixin’s. I ate countless burgers while pregnant with Jemma and fully expected my burger love to wane once she was born. But no. It didn’t. Not in the least. I still LOVE burgers. In fact, I want one now!
Thanks to our cow share the deep freezer is stocked with happy ground beef and I use that portion of our cow for crockpot lasagna and taco meat quite often. Until recently though, I had never made burger patties at home. Why?!? Your guess is as good as mine! I suppose I figured nothing could beat a restaurant style burger.
I was wrong.
Mexi burgers, as I call them, are now a staple on our menu. We just can’t get enough of this flavorful ground beef patty complete with a fiesta of toppings! Enjoy!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 tablespoons Wildtree taco seasoning, love this stuff!
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Pub buns (I buy these at Costco and they’re 20 times better than plain burger buns)
- Burger fixin’s — cheese, guacamole, caramelized onions, lettuce, tomato
- Preheat a cast iron pan on the stove. I have grill fear, so if Dominic isn’t home, I grill our burger patties on the stove.
- In a mixing bowl add the ground beef, taco seasoning, egg, mustard, garlic powder, 1/2 cup shredded cheese, salt and pepper.
- Wash your hands super well, remove your rings and mix with your hands.
- Divide your ground beef blend into 6 balls and form into patties. With our cow share there is hardly any fat so they don’t shrink up much. I usually eye my buns and attempt to make my patties match the bun diameter.
- Grill on each side for 3-4 minutes. I’m a medium rare girl, so just check the center for your preferred doneness.
- Remove from your cast iron, add your slice of cheese so it melts and build your perfect mexi burger with a dollop of guacamole, slice of tomato, pile of shredded lettuce and my favorite, caramelized onions!
For sides I’m a big fan of baking up Alexia tater tots or sweet potato fries. YUM!