I’ve never been one for experimenting with recipes, I can follow a recipe just great, but tasting something and then making up my own – not so much. But … a few years ago I tried a deli salad from Whole Foods and just had to attempt a recreation at home. It took a few tries, but I finally figured it out! The best thing about this recipe is you can easily swap the tofu for chicken if that’s more your style. Plus, it makes great leftovers … and who doesn’t love quality leftovers? Ingredients
- 1 package extra firm tofu
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 T olive oil
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 2 T curry powder
- 1/2 t cayenne pepper
- 1 t turmeric
- dash of salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup currants (or dried cranberries)
- 1/2 cup green onions, minced
- 3/4 cup slivered almonds
- The key to making tofu at home is the process of removing moisture. I use a three step process of pressing, baking and frying and it works well. So, first, un-package your tofu and place of a wire rack (like a cookie cooling rack) with a tray underneath, place a paper towel or two on top and put a heavy bowl or pan on top of the tofu. Allow to press, releasing liquid, for 2-3 hours, flipping every hour or so.
- Dice your tofu into bite size pieces and place on a baking sheet. Bake at 250 degrees for 30-40 minutes to draw out more moisture.
- Finally, toss your tofu bites in flour and fry in olive oil over medium heat. The goal is to turn the bites golden brown.
- While the tofu is browning, mix up the salad dressing by blending, mayo, curry powder, cayenne, turmeric, salt and pepper.
- Allow the tofu to cool.
- Once cooled, gently toss the tofu in the dressing and add currants, green onions and almonds.
Like I mentioned, the tofu can easily be substituted for chicken (diced tenders, canned or rotisserie), but honestly, I really like the consistency of the tofu in this salad, and I’m definitely not a no meat kind of girl. Hope you enjoy! And, if you have any other tofu preparation tips or tricks I’d love to hear them!
This post was originally published on the Baby Gizmo Blog.
/// Are we friends on Instagram? Let’s be! ///
(Visited 60 times, 1 visits today)