January was a really good cooking month for me. I meal planned, tried new recipes and came out with many winners. My favorite of all was a spin on The Pioneer Woman’s Broccoli Cheese Soup. I mean, whenever you include Dubliner you pretty much end up with something fabulous.
Best of all, I don’t even like broccoli! Now, I wouldn’t categorize this as a “healthy” recipe (cream! butter!), but since I consumed broccoli, in my book it’s pretty revolutionary.
- 6 cups of broccoli, I bought the pre-cut stuff from Costco
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt + pepper
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup Mexi blend cheese
- 2 cups Dubliner cheese
Serve with sourdough bread or even better, in a sourdough bread bowl!
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lay cut broccoli on a baking sheet and gently toss in olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 20 minutes.
- While broccoli is baking, melt butter in a large soup pot. Add onion and soften. Sprinkle flour on top and combine. This mixture will begin to thicken and look almost pasty.
- Slowly add your cream and milk, whisk well.
- Add nutmeg, salt and pepper. Whisk again.
- Add roasted broccoli, cover pot and allow to simmer for 30 minutes on low heat.
- Add cheeses and then mash well with a potato masher to break up broccoli and incorporate cheese.
I loved the thickness of the soup, like a chowder and used slices of bread instead of a spoon to eat it :) It made the most divine leftovers too! If the soup is too thick for you, add a bit of chicken stock or milk to thin – 1/4 cup at a time. If you (or your kids) prefer a puree you can blend the soup as well.
/// Follow That Mama Gretchen on Facebook and take a peek at this month’s featured sponsor ///
(Visited 420 times, 1 visits today)