Ok, this is gonna be a fun one! My very first, completely modified recipe! Like, I took a traditional fave and made it quite a bit healthier. I mean, lentils? In banana bread?
Jem confirmed, she never would have guessed about the lentils. And the boys gobbled it down. Mama win!
You see, with grocery prices climbing I’m aiming to cook more at home and experiment more with non-meat proteins. I know this isn’t a main dish, but it definitely fills a hole in breakfast and snack time. Slather a slice with butter (duh) and enjoy it warm straight out of the oven. As you can see, I couldn’t even get photos before a hefty portion disappeared!
Protein Packed Lentil Banana Bread
- cooking spray
- 1/2 cup salted butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup lentils cooked
- 2 eggs
- 4 bananas very ripe
- 8 ounces plain Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- Prep dry lentils according to package instructions. I usually do up a bunch and then freeze them in 1 cup portions so they're ready for recipes like this.
- Preheat oven to 300 degress.
- Spray a 9×9 baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl cream softened butter and sugar together.
- In a blender combine cooked lentils, eggs, bananas, Greek yogurt, vanilla, and cinnamon. About 20 seconds on varying speed. You want the lentils and bananas fully broken down without the mixture becoming frothy.
- Add blender mixture to the creamed butter and sugar. Combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients. Slowly add to the wet mixture until everything is fully incorporated.
- Pour batter into greased pan and bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center.
Three, two, one – GO! Get this protein packed lentil banana bread a mixin’. Your whole family is sure to love it!