My dear friend, Bianca, once shared the very best banana bread recipe with me. It has become a family staple for us and this year we used it as a base recipe to create a perfect fall treat – Apple Pie Cream Cheese Bread.
We finished a loaf straight out of the oven, smeared in Kerrygold butter and sprinkled with cinnamon sugar. Tomorrow, I’m betting we will finish off the second loaf!
Apple Pie Cream Cheese Bread
- 1/2 C butter softened
- 3/4 C sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 bananas very ripe
- 1/2 C sour cream
- 1/2 C sourdough discard
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tso baking soda
- 2 1/4 C flour
- 2 C apples chopped
- 8 oz cream cheese
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Spray 2 loaf pans with non-stick spray. We love the avocado oil spray from Costco.
- In a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, banana, sour cream, sourdough discard, vanilla, and cinnamon. If you do not have sourdough discard you can increase the sour cream portion to 1 cup.
- Blend dry ingredients in a separate bowl – flour, baking soda, and salt. Slowly incorporate into the wet mixture.
- Hand mix in the chopped apples.
- Divide batter into two loaf pans. Dollop cream cheese on the top and press into the center with the end of a wooden spoon.
- Bake for 5-60 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
The chopped apples were leftovers from our annual apple taste testing! This year we sampled Sweet Tango, Cosmic Crisp, Sweetie, and Kiku. Everyone loved Kiku the most which was a brand new apple variation to us!
A few quick recipe notes … as I mentioned, if you don’t have sourdough discard you can swap that for extra sour cream. Jem and I have been experimenting with sourdough though and are always looking for recipes to tie it in to. This one worked great! And, with the flour, we did half white and half whole wheat. Again, out of necessity, I ran out of white! Basically, it’s a versatile, delicious recipe that won’t disappoint!
Do you do any fun apple projects in the fall? I admit, this is both the beginning and the end for us – September flew by!