Learning to Create Positive Childbirth
One of my biggest take aways from this week was the power of words. Words are amazing. They can convey beauty, hurt, pain; they are one of our greatest tools in sharing emotion. Many words associated with birth have negative associations and Hypnobabies hits the nail on the head when they encourage mamas to translate many birth words into a more positive form. For example …
- Instead of fetus, say BABY
- Instead of delivery, use BIRTH
- Refer to those at my birth as people ATTENDING. They aren’t delivering or birthing my baby … only I can do that.
- Dominic is my BIRTH PARTNER, not just my husband
- Instead of having contractions, I’ll experience PRESSURE WAVES or BIRTH SENSATIONS
- Instead of labor, which sounds harsh and strenuous, I’ll be calling it my BIRTHING TIME which is a great celebration
- Instead of pain, I’m going to focus on saying DISCOMFORT
- My due date is more like a GUESS DATE
Alot of verbiage related to pregnancy and birth can be manipulated into a positive phrase rather than a negative one. I’m going to ask Dominic to focus on this during my birth — say, “Do your best to relax right now” versus “Don’t tense up”. Makes total sense, doesn’t it?
This week also covered the history of hypnosis which I found very helpful. I’ve heard such great things about Hynobabies, but I still feel a bit weary surrounding the whole hypnosis aspect. Learning more about it, that it actually gives me greater control, has been good. I’m feeling much more confident in going this route. Now I just need to maximize my quiet time during the day by practicing with my CDs! Easier said than done.
To focus on positive, powerful words, my goal is to swell on this statement each day:
He did say that I was his favorite buffalo though :)
Blog – GFC – Blog Lovin’ – Facebook – Twitter – Pinterest – Vote